Cyber Insurance And Online Identity Theft Prevention Tips
Cyber Monday Sales are HERE and so are the non-stop emails from stores trying to get you to buy. Now, before you go on clicking on the links from the emails, there a few things you should consider to help prevent identity theft. According a 2015 Travelers Consumer Risk Index, 59% of Americans worry about online identity theft. The threat is out there and it is real.
These following tips can help you from a cyber attack or identity theft:
- Try to avoid buying from a site that doesn’t have a secure socket layer (SSL) encryption installed. Look for the ‘S’ at the beginning of a URL for example HTTPS:// instead of HTTP:// to help determine if a site is SSL secured.
- Use only one credit card to make your online purchase. Be sure to review your statements when received to check for any fraudulent or unknown charges.
- If you receive an email regarding sales or discounts from a retailer, log on directly to the official website of the business. Avoid linking to it from an unsolicited email.
- Do not send personal information in an email or instant message. Emails can easily be intercepted.
- Only click on links you received by email or encounter online if:
- they come from someone you know.
- they come from someone you’ve received emails from before.
- it’s something you are expecting.
- it passes your anti-virus program test.
- Be cautious of emails you receive regarding your financial accounts.
- Try to limit the personal information you put on the internet. Social media sites can be a good source for networking and identity thieves can use that information you share.
- To help ensure the latest security features are installed, remember to keep your web browser up to date.
- Avoid storing personal information, account numbers and personal identification numbers on your computer.
- INSTALL A FIREWALL AND ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE! This can help protect you from exposure to cyber attacks.
- Keep your passwords private by choosing a STRONG password.
At PHD Insurance Brokers we offer Data Breach Liability and Cyber Insurance. For your FREE insurance quote, call us NOW at 1-800-640-4743 or request your quote online at www.phdinsurancebrokers.com/contact-us/. We hope you found these tips helpful and you keep your identity safe.
Lee HendrieShare This: